Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Romans 1:8-15 : Humility in Ministry


I decided not to comment on all of this passage because I wanted it to be shorter, less boring, and more focused than my previous post.

Romans 1:8-15 - NIV
            8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world. 9 God, whom I serve in my spirit in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you 10 in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God's will the way may be opened for me to come to you.
            11 I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong - 12 that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith. 13  I do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles.
            14 I am obligated both to Greek and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. 15 That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are in Rome.

Paul continues his introduction by addressing his audience more intimately. He expresses the desire he has to visit Rome and to have fellowship with the believers there. The meaning of Paul’s words is clear and straightforward. This passage is not an argument to discern but Paul honestly addressing his readers. However, in the second half of the introduction, Paul reveals much about the nature of ministry that is helpful to readers today.
Verses 11 and 12 reveal some of Paul’s ideology of ministry. He seeks to visit Rome in order to impart a spiritual gift on the believers there. Paul explains what he means by saying, “that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith.” It is easy to imagine the apostle Paul coming to a city and giving great teaching and providing spiritual encouragement to the community of believers there. This is what Paul has been doing since his transformation. He has become a great missionary to many towns and peoples, sharing the gospel and encouraging the believers there in their faith. Many examples of this are seen throughout the letters Paul wrote that make up much of the epistles in the New Testament.
However, Paul shows his humility when he says the reason for his desire to see the Romans is so that they might be mutually encouraged. While one might look at Paul and think of a great minister who is beyond encouragement from oneself because of all the great things he has done. But Paul tells just the opposite story. One might think that Paul would be encouraged just because of seeing the fruits of his ministry, but that is not the case. He seeks to fellowship with the believers in Rome not so he can see the works of his own hands, but so that he can see the works of God’s hands.
Verse 8 reveals Paul’s mindset of ministry. He thanks God through Jesus Christ for the faith of the Romans. Paul does not believe that their faith has anything to do with his work, but relies solely on the work God in the lives of his people. It is for this reason that Paul would be encouraged by being with the Romans. He would see yet another result of the love and work of God.
It is wise to adopt Paul’s mindset as our own in today’s Christianity. Too often there is praise to individuals for their efforts in ministry. We as people can never bring any change to a person’s life. Change is only a result of God working in a person’s heart through the Holy Spirit. While one should be encouraged for their service to the Lord, the congratulations should never be offered to them, but only to the one who did the work.
While it might be rare that one will give the credit of ministry to someone else instead of God, it is common that an individual will give the credit to themselves. This may not be intentional, but a result of selfishness. As Christians, we should always be examining our heart when ministering to others. Are we secretly giving the credit to ourselves? We must be intentional about adopting the humility that Paul displays in this passage. Let us encourage one another in our faith and faithfulness to service, but let us always be giving the honor and thanks to the one that accomplishes the work.

1 comment: